Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter and Ear Aches

Well, our Easter didn't go as I had envisioned. Here's what I thought would happen. We would get up for the early service at church (early is not by choice, but this works the best with Cassi's napping schedule) and dress Cassi in her first Easter dress. It would be a beautiful, sunny day. After church, we would drive to my Dad and step mom's for Easter lunch. Then, the mayhem would ensue with the egg hunt.

This is what actually happened. Kai woke up at 2 a.m. Easter morning with an ear ache. He's only had one or two his whole life, so this was out of the blue. I gave him some Tylenol and he slept until 4 a.m. I gave him the heating pad and he slept until 6 a.m. He woke up in horrible pain. He was crying and it was awful! I gave him more Tylenol, which seemed to help for a little bit. Then I put in some swimmer's ear drops out of desperation. In the mean time, I called my Dad to break the news that we wouldn't be making it to his house. We had already missed church and I was thinking I'd have to dress Cassi in her first Easter dress just to get some pictures. Well, Kai started to feel better, from the drops, I guess, and said he wanted to go to Grandma and Grandpa's. So, we scurried around and made the trip in cold and rain. We took some photos before we left.


Cassi and her first Easter basket



The Easter Bunny brought her some Little People Easter People



Cassi in her first Easter dress





Cassi and her friend Abbey Caddabby




Kai and his Easter basket


Kai seemed fine during the day, a little peeked, but okay. It was cruddy weather, but it did manage to stop raining for the 20 or so minutes of the egg hunt. Cassi had her own separate indoor baby "egg hunt for beginners" and Kai had the "intermediate level egg hunt" by himself on the porch since most of the kids are older and bigger.



Cassi at Grandma and Grandpa's, ready to eat!



The Egg Hunt post-mayhem mayhem

Easter haul

Dad and Cassi preparing for "the hunt."



Baby egg hunt



Checkin' out what the Easter bunny left at Grandma and Grandpa's

One the way home, they both slept some. Then, allllllll last night, I was up with Kai. He was in agony by 4 a.m. and I was in tears, too, because I couldn't do anything to help him, so I took him to the ER. He felt like he was going to throw up, so we took "the bucket." We were in and out of the ER in 35 minutes! It was amazing! He had two ear infections, one ear drum may have burst, but they couldn't tell. I think it probably did, because that ear didn't hurt any more. We went to a 24 hour pharmacy and got a pain rx and antibiotic rx filled. They gave him a dose of Motrin at the hospital (hospital strength?) and that started to kick in at the pharmacy, so he wasn't saying "ouch!" all the time.




So, today, he is doing better as far as the ears go, but has been vomiting. He can't keep any food down. He sipped some Gatorade, which seemed to stay down until just recently. It may because I couldn't get him to eat enough before taking his meds., but that was about 8 hours ago, so I'm guessing virus. Anyway, I've cleaned up more barf than I cared to. He didn't make it to the bathroom twice and just froze in the hallway. He had a bucket in his room by the bed, but I think panic ensued and then he froze in the hallway. Some day we will get new carpet, but not until these kids are raised! LOL! I feel so bad for him! I don't like to see my babies suffer. He tried to eat dinner just now and didn't keep it down, so I can't give him any of the pain medicine they prescribed. So far the pain isn't bad, he says. I'm sooooo hoping he feels better and we can sleep tonight. Well, that was our Easter!!!

2 comments:

Janine said...

I'm so sorry for you and your son. It sounds like such a painful day and it's so hard to see your kids in pain. That must have been an awfully painful experience for you too. Why these things always happen in the middle of the night is beyond me. Glad he is feeling better now.

Your daughter looked so cute in her Easter dress. :)

Just wanted to stop bye and say "hi", it's nice to meet you!

nybogi said...

I am so sorry to hear about Kai. I hope he gets better. Cassi is absolutely beautiful. She has grown SO much! The photo with your Dad, it is unbelievable how much she looks like Dagny. I did a double take this time. :-)