Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Book Us, Dano!









We were fingerprinted yet again today. The last time was by Homeland security this past January to get our clearance to adopt an orphan. That was done electronically, which I must say, is much nicer. No messy ink and no "whoops!" when the print doesn't look so great. This time, was at the sheriff's office the ole' fashioned way with paper and ink. We took my good friend Tamara's advice and had 2 sets made, just in case. They've changed the rule and the FBI clearance is now good for 6 months instead of 3. YAY!

I asked the administrator if this is how they "book" the inmates and she said, no, they do those electronically, but still use paper for folks like us, people wanting concealed weapon permits, attorneys and various other occupations. Then, she goes on to tell me that the place in GA that we are sending these consists of 6 women in a room, counting the rings on people's fingerprints! No wonder it takes 4 weeks to get the clearance back! I'm not too sure I believe that in this day and age with the current technology, however, they ARE still using paper and ink, so who knows. Maybe someone out there can enlighten me?
Anyway, I'm really excited to be getting these particular fingerprints taken care of, because it means we are getting closer to traveling than ever before!

3 comments:

Nichole said...

What great news that they are good for 6 months!! 3 months is just ridiculous. Does that mean that medicals and police clearances are good for 6 months, too? Yea, for progress!! Any news on a referral coming your way?

Tamara said...

What I never got was why none of these systems talk to each other. You'd think that the state, federal and FBI systems would be able to chat especially about big time criminals (not you, Holly :) but alas ... And, I think the ink is totally just to see if these crazy PAPs will jump through ONE more hoop! I mean at this point, what's a little ink all over your hands?

Anonymous said...

Yes, the police checks are good for 6 mos too, but not the medicals. Do I sound like I just went through this? LOL Holly it is good that you are getting these done now, b/c you should be traveling before you know it! I hope you aren't waiting on pins and needles for yours two days before you leave-- like we were. :/

Hugs, Jules