Monday, July 21, 2008

Survived the shots

Well, I ended up needing 4 shots (tetanus w/ pertussis, Hep. A, typhoid and MMR booster) and Dan needed 4 as well (tetanus w/ pertussis, Hep. A/B twinrix, typhoid and MMR booster). I had a slight reaction from the tetanus. It still feels like I really pulled a muscle, but sure beats getting tetanus, I'm sure! I have to go back for my last Hep. A in 6 months and Dan will need his second Hep. B next month and the last in 6 months. We will have about 60% coverage w/ only 1 shot of Hep. A (and B for Dan, I had those shots about 10 years ago) before we travel, so word to the wise, get these done way ahead of time.

The nurse also recommended rabies shots, which as something like $200 a pop and you have to get 3, however, she said that there's been a big outbreak of rabies in the southern US, so they sent their vaccinations down there. So, she said to avoid petting any animals at all while in Russia, just to be safe.

In addition to drinking bottled water, the nurse said to avoid dairy products because milk, etc. isn't pasteurized in Russia and if the cow drank tainted water, then a person could get sick.

Stay tuned for next week's exciting episode: FBI Fingerprints!

2 comments:

Little Patch of Heaven said...

It is all for a good cause. Love reading your blog.

Tamara said...

Most of these shots are just good to have anyway. I haven't ever done the rabies shots though and the only animals we saw in Moscow were little dogs in hats with matching boots. Glad you have these behind you. Better to be safe than sorry! Paka and hugs! Tamara